Working at as a computer tech, has it's ups and downs. I get to talk to many interesting people. Many of which have little or no computer knowledge. Over the past 2 years I have had some funny conversations, that I would like to share with you. There are many others, that I may add later, but for now, here are some of my favorite memories.
My program integrated a time clock on the computer
Customer: "Where is this time clock at? I can't see it!"
I showed her where it was and how to use it.
Customer: "I don't really want it on the computer. Can't I just hang it on the wall?"
Our program networks all the computers in the office together, and often we need to ask them to go to different computers!
Me: Can I have you go to another computer
Customer: Will the front desk on work?
Me: That will be fine.
Customer:Let me put you on hold while I go over there.
Me: Okay
Cheesy hold music
Customer: Okay, now what
Me: Are we at your front desk computer?
Customer: No
Me: Why not?
Customer: Because there isn't a phone, and I couldn't hear you from there.
Some of the time, we need to run some programs that can take a little bit of time. and office will often ask to put me on hold while it runs.
Customer: Let me put you on hold until this is done.
Me; That's fine.
Instead of cheesy hold music she must have put me on speaker phone. Here is what I heard.
Lady 1: So did you hear that Suzie is dating a drug dealer?
Lady 2: No way, I don't believe it!
Lady 3: (bursts into the room) So the Doctor is totally cheating on me!! Who was that girl!!
There was much more office gossip, but those first few minutes were very shocking!
Customer: My computer will not turn on.
Me: Is everything plugged in right?
Customer: I don't know I can't tell
Me: Why can't you tell?
Customer: Because it's dark in here. The power is out.
(I wonder why the computer will not turn on!)
And the Grand Prize winner!
Me; Okay we need to reboot this computer
Customer: We need to what?
Me: We need to turn your computer off and turn it back on
Customer: Okay
(2 second laps)
Customer: Now what?
Me: We need to reboot your computer
Customer: I did
Me: You turned off your computer and turned it back on?
Customer; Yes
Me; How did you turn it off?
Customer: I pushed the button
Me: What button did you push?
Customer: The one on my computer
Me: The button on big base part? (She was having trouble with the more technical vocabulary)
Customer: No, the button on my screen.
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
The Interesting World of Computer Tech Support
Posted by
Katie
at
3:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow, those are classic--I'm glad you shared!!!
Aaaah . . . Katie, I'm glad you are documenting these! I know I had lots of funny calls, too, when I worked in Tech Support, but the only ones I can remember include a lady who said her monitor wasn't working and then she told me it was smoking. And then the lady crying on the phone and the doctor shouting at her that she was fired. SHe hung up and called back later, telling me she was re-hired and the doctor gave her a raise.
Dear me. The sad thing is, I could be all those people. Yes, I'm that dumb.
Wow, it sounds like you talk to some very interesting people. At least it sounds entertaining and keeps you on your toes!
Post a Comment